Monday, April 5, 2010

Hawkey, Bulldogs and Baseball

It's that glorious time of year again. Hockey season is nearing the playoffs (and the beards are starting to grow), the NCAA Championship game is tonight, and of course, it's MLB Opening Day. So it's time to roll out a mega blog update.

Calgary Flames: Property of Patrick Kane (and the Chicago Blackhawks)
4 straight this year. Beat them in the playoffs last year. Took all 4 regular season last year. After a stretch where the Hawks looked like shit, and stuck me with my only 2 witnessed losses all year, Thomas D and I wrapped up our season ticket plans Sunday against the Flamers. Also known as the medicine to whatever ails the Hawks. So after Kopecky and Brouwer Power gave the Hawks the lead I don't think anyone was surprised to see Kane snap out of his slump as the Hawks won 4-1. 3 straight wins now for the Hawks has us back to within 2 point of San Jose for the #1 seed in the West (with a game in-hand and the tie-breaker in wins and head-to-head). So those terrible losses to Columbus and St Louis are starting to fade into distant memory.

Game Observations-
-Antti Niemi (aka The Anti-Goal) is starting to stand on his head more and more. He looks confident and since he'll be the #1 goalie this spring, allow me to fully jump aboard the Niemi bandwagon.
- Suck (aka Tomas Kopecky) may need a new a nickname. It turns out he might not suck. In fact he may actually be the most valuable 4th line player... who knew? He's had key goals now if 2 of the last 3 games including the first of the game on Sunday.

-I wonder how much the goalies for our Canadian rivals hate "Chelsea Dagger." I always envision Roberto Luongo having nightmares about the song, and I'm pretty sure that after the Hawks outscored Calgary 20 goals to 8 this season (and 20 of the last 23 scored after that terrible start for the hawks in October), that Kiprusoff must hate that song too. I wonder what happens if these guys are at a bar and someone puts it on the jukebox. I know the Hawks fans have gotten under Luongo's skin, and I kinda hope the same has happened to Kiprusoff.


Central Division Champions.
Before the start of the game yesterday, the Fuckstains of Detroit lost in Philly. Which officially made the Blackhawks your 2009-10 Central Division Champions! Of course, Sports Authority knew this for a while, because you could buy hats that said Champs for about a week. Even the win wasn't "needed" it was nice to notch up 2 more points yesterday, and when the scoreboard announced the Division Championship, the United Center erupted. It was probably the loudest ovation I've heard all year, and I'm really gearing up for the playoffs again.

#playoffFAIL
Recently, Thomas D and I have taken to twitter to make the interweb aware of disgust for Blackhawks fans were treated for the playoffs. However the guys at Second City Hockey said it better than I ever could in Sunday's Comitted Indian:

"I was surprised to find out that partial season ticket holders did not get a presale for playoff tickets. I know they did last year, having the chance to buy a limited number of seats for a limited number of games before the teeming masses got their crack. I don't see the logic behind that. Those who have plunked down more cash and made more of a commitment to the Hawks should get rewarded. As a season-ticket holder I get one. Even if it was just the chance to get seats for just one playoff game or a couple, those fans deserved that chance, and I hope the Hawks organization knows it made a mistake in not doing so. Sure, they'll get a king's ransom for those seats on the open market and won't even notice. Such is the way of the world I guess. I go back and forth from decrying to defending John McDonough and his ways, but this was most certainly a fuck-up, and he should admit as much or at least explain why they made the decision. But I won't sit on a hot stove waiting for that to happen."

needless to say, we don't have postseason tickets. I'm pretty pissed about it. Enough so, that I tried to get #playoffFAIL going as a trending topic on twitter. It didn't work, but @tomdmaloney and I (@TheErrDizzle) started using it to call out other teams... like Calgary. So I've got that going for me.


BULLS Update
#playoffFAIL! I'd like to update something here, but since the last game I saw was the one in Indy when 80% of the 920 Neely crew was together, it's tough. Between the injuries, the bad trades (see: Salmons, John) the losses and the general suckiness of everyone not named Derrick Rose I lost interest. They aren't headed for the playoffs, so I'll probably tune in during the offseason to find out which A-list free agents snub the Bulls offer first.

Title Talk
This is pretty much all you need to know about where I stand:




Butler is a 7.5 point underdog, and the Over/Under on the game is 128.5. Since I'm a degenerate gambler, I figure I'd break it down with my analysis. Butler controls the pace of the game as well as any team I've seen all year. Duke also slows it down and plays alot of games in the 60 point range. I'm gonna take the under there. Pretty easily. And if you're not scoring alot of points, it's tough to win by a big margin. I don't see anyway Butler doesn't keep it close, especially since Shelvin Mack should be back at 100%.
So take Butler and the points, and the under.
As for a prediction, well, I gotta pick Butler. Rooting for Duke is akin to rooting for the Yankees so I'll say final score Butler 62, Duke 57


It's the start of something new:
The Yankees and Red Sox started off the baseball season last night. But today is when it gets good, as the other teams get going today. (Editor's note*: I'm typing this before any of the games start, but by the time this gets posted, the White Sox game will be over)

I was pretty critical of a lot of the White Sox offseason moves, namely trading Chris Getz, forcing Beckham to 2B, signing Omar Vizquel and Andruw Jones. But the beginning of April is always that time for baseball optimism. Just ask a Cubs fan.
But my optimism is a little more realistic. The best thing that the White Sox did all offseason was hiring someone to ruin Joe Nathan's elbow and forcing him out for the season. Sure Twins fans will tell you it was a fluke injury, but I know the truth. It was too great for the Sox to not have been done by a hired hitman.
So that injury to the Twins, coupled with the Tigers shipping off Granderson and Edwin Jackson (as well as allegedly being more broke than Roger Dorn in Major League II) is pretty good for the Sox. I'll be the first to admit that the AL Central is weak as hell. And the Sox are running a starting pitching staff of Mr. Perfect (Buehrle), Peavy, Danks and Gavin Floyd. Anything can happen in the playoffs, so the whole key is getting there. Well the Sox have a potentially dominant rotation and a division that might be won with 83 wins. I have to say I like those odds. And if Jaun Pierre can do what Scotty Pods did last year, 83 wins is well within reach. So here's to mediocre baseball in a horseshit division, aka your 2010 Chicago White Sox!

AL Central Predictions:
1) Sox 84-78
2) Twins 82-80 - I hate these guys
3) Tigers 81-81 - Detroit Sucks
4) Royals 74-88 - They gotta finish 4th sometime...
5) Injuns 72-90 - Damn you Grady Sizemore

Full MLB Predictions
AL East - Yankees
Central - Sox
West - Rangers
Wild Card -Rays

NL East - Phillies
Central - Cards
West - Giants
Wild Card - Diamondbacks

World Series: Cardinals over Rays in 6




No comments: