Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Being weary of Marian Hossa/Hawkey update


So once again, I've probably taken waaay too long to update this amazingly terrific sports blog. But once again, I don't give a rat's ass, so the 2 or 3 people that actually read this can suck it up. Or stop reading. I don't care.

So on to Hawks.
Thomas D and I are now a whopping 5-0 in person this season. Granted, this game was a while ago, but here's my quick recap as I now remember it, before diving into the subject of the blog.

Game 5: Sun. Nov 15th, San Jose Sharks @ Blackhawks... W 4-3/OT
The Hawks capped off a perfect 4-0 homestand with a key win over the team with the best record in the West. The Sharks jumped out to a 3-1 lead, but the Hawks came right back and tied it in the 2nd period. Nothing happened in the 3rd, then Seabrook scored quickly into overtime to send us home.

Since then the Hawks started their annual circus road trip out with a bang, kicking the shit out of Calgary 7-1, smacking around Edmonton 5-2, then surviving a slugfest with Vancouver 1-0. That makes a 7 game winning streak and bring us up to now, the day before their next game, against the San Jose Sharks. This game is significant as it marks the return (start?) of the "$60M Injury".

Everyone and their mother has an opinion on the return of Hossa. (Great hockey blog story here. And another good blog story here, by people who write more than me.) Personally, I'm a little skeptical. Granted, I haven't been a hockey guy for a long time. But I've seen shit like this before. The "Savior" comes in and automatically a team is supposed to win everything. Well this Blackhawks bandwagon is getting crowded in a hurry. Meanwhile, we've seen nothing from this guy yet. Hence, the $60M Injury nickname. (FYI, this nickname will stand til I'm sufficiently impressed with his play) While I don't doubt Hossa to be a great talent (you have to be to earn that kind of money, right?) But here's my concerns:
-I'm considerably worried about how he fits into this team. His cap number has already made re-signing Kane, Toews and Keith more difficult than it should be and is most likely going to force Sopel out of town for nothing other than cap relief (though I'd be a dick to not note than Campbell's cap hit is worse, and I strongly believe Huet to be vastly overpaid).
-The Hawks are red hot right now. Hossa will be on the same line as Toews and Kane. This could potentially disrupt the great chemistry the Hawks have working for them right now. Especially because...
-His injury. That we didn't know about when signing him for $60M. I can almost guarantee he's not all the way ready for the rigors of an NHL game. The Hawks will need to withstand about 3 weeks of a "pre-season" for the $60M Injury. The next 3 weeks contain plenty of big-time games that could start to shape the season. It's gonna be key to play well, especially against some of the elite teams in the league (i.e. Sharks, Penguins) before getting into the big rivalry games against his former team, the Red Wings. Which brings me to my last point of concern...
-His playoff performances. The $60M Injury has been on the losing end of the last 2 Stanley Cup Finals. I don't know how this makes me feel. I feel pretty confident that there will be some playoff hockey in Chicago this spring. So how is he going to help. On one hand, he's used to going deep in the playoffs and his teams have made nice runs. On the other hand, his teams have "struggled" on the ultimate stage and failed to win the Cup. On the other hand how much of his team's efforts can be attributed to him? It's tough to say.

So I'm a little weary. I'd rather be a little cautious and find myself surprised at the success than the other way around. So maybe that's why I'm telling myself these things. Or maybe the media attention the Blackhawks are receiving again scares the shit out of me. I don't know. But let's see where this takes me.




Current Record/Standings: 15-5-2, 32 points. 1st in Division, 2nd in Conference
Next up for the Hawks: @San Jose Sharks, Wednesday Nov. 25th
Next up for Me and Thomas D: Home vs Blue Jackets, Tuesday Dec. 1st

1 comment:

Tom said...

OMG Hawks are going to win it all!

/Overblown freak out.